Today (Wednesday) is February's only official Walking Wednesday
Come out and join us. It should be sleeting while we are walking.
Open Doors and After School Programming
- Readers Theater (Ms. Bashaw's room)
- SACS Newspaper (Ms. Pallas' room)
- Mad Scientists (Mrs. Lamb's room)
- Homework Club
It looks like it will not be a great day for outside recess. At recess time it will be gusty, wet and relatively warm for a February day.
Discovery Engineering Project
Discovery students in 4th and 5th grade learn Engineering Design, working in groups to create index card towers that hold the most pennies. The most sturdy tower held more than 200 pennies!
Two students paint their projects in one of Ms. Tagliamonte's art classes.
Recipe from Family and Consumer Science Exhibit - Unified Arts Night
Sweet Potato Tasty Tots
5 cups Fresh sweet potatoes, peeled, coarsely shredded
2 L cups Canned low-sodium garbanzo beans (chickpeas), with liquid
½ cup Fresh green onions, finely chopped
2 Tbsp Vegetable oil
½ tsp Salt (Mrs. Smith and Mrs. Lamb suggest adding more to the recipe, to taste)
½ tsp Granulated garlic (Mrs. Smith and Mrs. Lamb suggest adding more to the recipe)
¼ tsp Ground black pepper
½ tsp Onion powder
½ tsp Ground cinnamon (Mrs. Smith and Mrs. Lamb suggest deleting from the recipe)
Preparation Time: 30 minutes Cooking Time: 35 minutes total Makes 36 Tots (serving size: 6 tots)
1. Preheat oven to 350 °F.
2. Place shredded potatoes on a large baking pan sprayed with a nonstick cooking spray. Bake at 350 °F for 20 minutes or until slightly tender. Do not overcook.
3. Increase oven temperature to 400 °F.
4. In a food processor or blender, purée garbanzo beans, including the liquid, until smooth.
5. In a medium mixing bowl, combine shredded sweet potatoes, puréed garbanzo beans, green onions, vegetable oil, salt, garlic, pepper, onion powder, and cinnamon. Mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 40-45 minutes to make tots easier to form.6. Spray a large baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Using a cookie scoop or a spoon, roll 36 tots. Place 1 inch apart on baking sheet. Lightly flatten the tops of the tots with a spoon or a fork. Bake at 400 °F for 10-12 minutes or until lightly brown. Serve hot.
Mrs. Walsh's Kindergarten class made bears, trees, and hedgehogs
Recent Examples of Student Art Work
UNIVERSAL LUNCH MENU
Entrée Options Main Meal or Cabot Yogurt Parfait or Deli Sandwich or Pizza
Offered with all Meals Vegetable/Fruit Bar Fresh Fruit, Fresh Hood Milk